UBports has announced that for a few moments the OTA-19 from Ubuntu Touch to all supported devices. You just have to keep in mind that those of PINE64 do not use the same numbering, but they will also start receiving the news soon. It comes with some new features, despite the fact that the developer team is half focused on the next version. Why? Well, because today’s release should be the last to be based on Ubuntu 16.04.
Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus was released in April 2016 and is no longer supported. Phones and tablets that use Ubuntu Touch have continued to receive updates, but most for the operating system itself, among which we have the browser (Morph), the keyboard and other applications, but they have not received the kernel security patches. But the news today is that they have launched the OTA-19 of this operating system, and then you have the most outstanding news.
Highlights of Ubuntu Touch OTA-19
- This is nothing new, but it is mentioned by UBports and so do I: like the previous one, it is still based on Ubuntu 16.04.
- New supported devices:
- BQ E4.5 Ubuntu Edition, E5 HD Ubuntu Edition, M10 (F), HD Ubuntu Edition and U Plus.
- Cosmo Communicator.
- F (x) tec Pro1.
- Fairphone 2 and 3.
- Google Pixel 2XL and Pixel 3a.
- Huawei Nexus 6P.
- LG Nexus 4 and 5.
- Meizu MX4 Ubuntu Edition and Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition.
- Nexus 7 2013 (Wi-Fi and LTE models).
- OnePlus 2, 3 and 3T, 5 and 5T, 6 and 6T and One.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (910F, 910P, 910T) and Galaxy S3 Neo + (GT-I9301I).
- Sony Xperia X, Xperia X Compact, Xperia X Performance, Xperia XZ, Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE or Wi-fi only),
- Vollaphone and Vollaphone X.
- Xiaomi Mi A2, Mi A3, Mi MIX 3, Poco F1, Redmi 3s / 3x / 3sp (land), Redmi 4X, Redmi 7, Redmi Note 7 and Redmi Note 7 Pro.
- Minor improvements in the app frameworks; 16.04.7 framework has been added.
- The qml-module-qtwebview and libqt5webview5-dev packages have been added.
- The Halium 7.1 and 5.1 have received support for using the gyroscope and other sensors.
- Improvements in the keyboard of the messages application.
- Improvements and corrections, among which is the camera.
Users interested in installing the Ubuntu Touch OTA-19 just have to go to the settings, look for the updates and install them. The next OTA-20 should now make the leap to Ubuntu 20.04.