In the next article we are going to take a look at OutWiker 3.0. This is one stable version of the OutWiker program with which we can take and store notes, available for Ubuntu. This program will store the notes in the form of directories with text files, also allowing to attach an arbitrary number of files to each note. The program will allow users to write notes using different notations (HTML, Wiki or Markdown).
This program is written in Python, and is distributed under the GPLv3 license. It can be found available for Gnu / Linux and Windows. The main difference between OutWiker and other similar programs is that OutWiker stores a tree of notes in the form of regular directories on disk, and not in a single file. Also, any number of files can be attached to the notes.
OutWiker can contain pages of different types: HTML pages, pages that use wikinotation (the most functional type of pages), simple text pages and if we use the Markdown plugin, it will also allow us to add pages in Markdown format.
OutWiker general features
- We will find the program available for Gnu / Linux and Windows.
- The base of notes of this program is stored in the form of directories on the disk and not in a single file.
- Any file can be attached to the notes.
- They can add new functions to the program using plugins. On the project website, we can find the list of accessories available for download and a brief explanation of how to install them.
- This program can be found translated into English, German and some others that are being worked on. Although at the moment Spanish is not among those languages. All translations and their status can be consulted in the following page.
- The program allows you to check the spelling of multiple languages, although Spanish is not among them.
- The created pages can be of different types. Text pages, HTML pages, and wiki pages are supported. With the Markdown plugin, we will also be able to write notes using the Markdown language.
- HTML and Wikinotation syntax coloring works on note edit page.
- Pages can be label.
- We will can set bookmarks on the pages we create.
- We can also change the appearance of our pages using CSS styles.
- Each page can be assign an icon from a PiP set or external file.
- We will also be able to create links between pages.
- There is possibility of perform text searches in notes and a search by tags.
- The note tree can be opened in read-only mode.
- it’s possible work with a group of labels at a time.
- We will have the possibility of insert formulas in TeX format.
- It will be possible color the source codes using the corresponding plugin.
- The program is distributed as open source. This code can be consulted in your GitHub page.
To know more about version 3.0 of this program, users can consult the project website.
Install OutWiker 3.0
As snap package
Ubuntu users can install this program using your snap pack. We can do this very easily by opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and typing in it the command:
sudo snap install outwiker
Once the installation is complete, we can find the program launcher in our team to start it.
We will be able remove this program opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and typing in it:
sudo snap remove outwiker
As a Flatpak package
We will also be able to install this program using its corresponding flatpak package. If you use Ubuntu 20.04 and you still do not have this technology enabled on your computer, you can follow the guide that a colleague wrote on this blog a while ago.
When we already have this technology enabled in our system, we can install the program opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and executing the command in it:
flatpak install flathub net.jenyay.Outwiker
After the installation is complete, we can search for the program launcher on our computer, or execute the command in the terminal:
flatpak run net.jenyay.Outwiker
If you chose to install this program as a flatpak, you can easily uninstall opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and executing the command in it:
flatpak uninstall net.jenyay.Outwiker
Users who want to know more about this program can consult the project website, which is in Russian.