In the next article we are going to take a look at ModernDeck. This is a free and open source Twitter client that can be found available for Gnu / Linux, Windows and MacOS. This application runs on TweetDeck, but showing a Material Design-inspired user interface, also adding new customization features.
This TweetDeck wrapper created with Electron and released under the MIT license. The application combines the power of TweetDeck with the ease of use expected of a Twitter client.
General Features of ModernDeck
- ModernDeck is available in multiple languages and different platforms.
- When the program starts, its interface looks much better compared to the official Twitter application. The GUI is designed to be displayed in tabs, allowing users to customize and move them as best suits us.
- The interface is a board with all the links that we want to add, which will be displayed in the left section, providing quick and easy access.
- The highlight of this client comes from the numerous customization options available. It will allow us to customize the sizes of the column and the text, the fonts, the sizes and the shapes of the profile images and the general theme, among many other things.
- It will also allow usr customize the behavior of Tweets, which means that it allows the application to stream in real time, automatically play GIFs or allow us to configure alert sounds.
- The program will give us the possibility to use keyboard shortcuts, with which to use this program in a simple way.
- Another thing that the program will allow us to do is import the settings directly, and thus save some time configuring the appearance of the program.
- In case you want exclude words and phrases from appearing in the feedWe will only have to add them in the dedicated section, in the Program Settings.
Install ModernDeck on Ubuntu
This application We can find it available as AppImage and Flatpak package. In addition we will also have the option of use this client for Twitter from the web browser, using the extensions that are available for the most popular browsers.
If you want to install this program as a Flatpak package that can be found available at Flathub, it is necessary to have this technology enabled in your system. If you use Ubuntu 20.04 and do not have it yet, you can follow the guide that a colleague wrote on this blog a while ago.
When you can use this type of package on your system, it will only be necessary to execute the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) to install the program:
flatpak install flathub com.dangeredwolf.ModernDeck
After installation, you can start the program looking for its launcher on our computer or executing the command:
flatpak run com.dangeredwolf.ModernDeck
If you want remove this program installed as a Flatpak package, all you have to do is open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and run in it:
sudo flatpak uninstall com.dangeredwolf.ModernDeck
If you are interested in trying this app as AppImage, you can download this file from project releases page. In addition, you can download the latest version published today, opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and executing in it wget as follows:
After completing the download of the file, all that remains is to go to the folder in which we have it saved. Once there, we will change the file permissions with the following command:
sudo chmod +x ModernDeck_x86_64.AppImage
After the previous command, we can start the program by double clicking on the file or by typing in terminal:
The other possibility that we will have to be able to use this program, will be using the extensions for web browsers offered in the project website. There you can find the extensions for browsers Chrome, Firefox Y Edge.
In the event that you use Twitter regularly and would like to have more customization and sorting options available on your client, perhaps trying ModernDec might be interesting for you.