The article that Has published this week Nate Graham on what’s coming to KDE it has been titled “Plasma 5.20 Beta is Here!”, but it is a bug that you should correct. In fact, he writes it down well and says that, finally, we already have the opportunity to test Plasma 5.21 in beta form. It will arrive with interesting news, such as the menu that will become another in which we will see more information, as we see in the header image of this article.
This time, Graham has only told us about a novelty, one that will come to Kate 21.04 and that adds a HUD-style command palette to search that allows us to launch menu items at a very high speed. To activate it, we will have to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + I, and they will probably add the function to other KDE apps. The rest of the changes are corrections and improvements in the interface, and you have them below.
Bug fixes and performance improvements coming to KDE
- Again, Spectacle can take screenshots of rectangular regions in triple screen setups (Spectacle 20.12.2)
- Okular’s Open dialog defaults to “All Files” in its file type filter when running on non-Plasma desktops (Okular 20.12.2)
- Dolphin now correctly reports the number of files present on other disks (Dolphin 20.12.2)
- The “Add Network Folder” action is again visible in Dolphin for people using Frameworks 5.78 or later, although it is now in the toolbar, instead of in view (Dolphin 20.12.2)
- Disabling the Konsole “Remember window size” feature now works again (Konsole 20.12.2)
- System Preferences font page does not show blank previews for anti-aliasing styles when using Nvidia’s proprietary driver (Plasma 5.21)
- Discover now handles the situation where you are installing a plug-in that requires you to select a specific file from a set of options, as does the separate ‘get new’ dialog [artículo]»(Plasma 5.21)
- Plasma compatibility with Pulse Connect secure VPN type now works (Plasma 5.21)
- Discover is now a bit faster to start up and uses less memory, still a lot, but less than before at least (Plasma 5.21)
- It is now possible to disable global shortcuts configured to enable Plasma applets (Plasma 5.21)
- Although the “Get New Plasma Widgets” window is open, trying to open it again now refocuses the existing one instead of opening a second one (Plasma 5.21)
- Fixed rare crash on System Preferences shortcuts page (Plasma 5.21)
- When waking up a sleeping laptop that has a touch screen, KWin no longer pretends that a finger is pressed on the touch screen until we actually touch it at least once (Plasma 5.21)
- In Plasma Wayland session, windows no longer try to adjust to OSDs and notifications (Plasma 5.21)
- Systray back button is now properly reversed when using RTL language (Plasma 5.21)
- File names in the Breeze-themed GTK folder dialog are now readable, especially when using a dark color scheme (Plasma 5.21)
- Undo deleting a file or folder can no longer unexpectedly overwrite an existing item that has the same name as the non-deleted item (Frameworks 5.79)
- System Preferences no longer hangs when navigating to the “Appearance” subpage of the lock screen page and then navigating off (Frameworks 5.79)
- Okular and potentially other KDE applications are also against open files accessed from a web browser using their “Open” dialog boxes (Frameworks 5.79)
- When you open a file accessed from a web browser in a KDE application and then show the Open dialog again, it no longer tries to show you the main website of the file (Frameworks 5.79)
- Systray applets displaying expanding action lists no longer have some of the actions clipped out of view when using non-default fonts or font sizes (Frameworks 5.79).
- Dolphin’s “Copy File Path” action has changed its shortcut to Ctrl + Alt + C so as not to conflict with the “Copy” action in the embedded terminal panel, whose shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + C (Dolphin 20.12. 2)
- Gwenview title bar now shows the path to the currently viewed location in browse mode (Gwenview 21.04)
- When using system-wide double-click mode, you can now rename files on the desktop by clicking the label of an already selected item, as in Dolphin (Plasma 5.21)
- Plasma no longer sends a useless notification when you link to a file elsewhere (Plasma 5.21)
- Rotated widgets are no longer jagged or aliased (Plasma 5.21).
- The edit mode toolbar now includes a link to the global themes page of the system preferences (Plasma 5.21).
- System Preferences Stationery and Background Services pages now support “Highlight Changed Settings” feature (Plasma 5.21)
- The icons used for screen rotation on the Display & Monitor page of System Preferences are now clearer (Plasma 5.21).
- Monochrome icons in the Breeze theme now remain monochrome when using scale factors greater than 200% (Frameworks 5.79).
When will all this get to the KDE desktop
Plasma 5.21 will arrive on February 9 and KDE Applications 21.04 will do so sometime in April. The 20.12.2 will be available from February 4. KDE Frameworks 5.79 will land on February 13.
To enjoy all this as soon as possible we have to add the KDE Backports repository or use an operating system with special repositories like KDE neon or any distribution whose development model is Rolling Release, although the latter usually take a little longer than the KDE system.
Yes, the above will not be met with 5.21, or not for Kubuntu until the release of Hirsute Hippo, as we already discussed in this article in which we talk about Plasma 5.20.