Happy 2021. I know it is day 2, but it is my first article of 2021 here in Ubunlog and I take the opportunity, as well as has done the same day Nate Graham. In your case, the developer of KDE He has published an article like the one he publishes every week, something that started with KDE Usability & Productivity, an initiative that has come to an end but has continued with the current “This Week in KDE”.
Like seven days ago, the article that you published a few hours ago is not as long as on other occasions, something logical if we take into account that we are still in the Christmas season. But they have not been totally stopped and we already have new list of new features, bug fixes, and performance and interface improvements. You have it below, although for most we will have to be patient, as we will explain at the end of the article.
New features coming to the KDE desktop
- Kate’s CTags plugin now includes a “Go to symbol” function (Kate 21.04).
- Dolphin now allows modifying the entries in the context menu so that we can delete items that we never used in the past (Dolphin 21.04).
Bug fixes and performance and interface improvements
- Okular now more reliably recognizes Markdown files for what they are so that you can render them correctly (Okular 20.12.1)
- It further improved the speed of Kate’s search function, almost doubling it for very long files (Kate 21.04)
- Konsole’s terminal ring feature now also activates the system ring (Konsole 21.04)
- KRunner’s window finder (which finds open windows) now has small thumbnail images again (Plasma 5.21)
- KRunner history view now works correctly with the mouse (Plasma 5.21)
- The progress bar that appears in a “file is downloading” notification now displays correctly under all circumstances (Frameworks 5.78).
- Mnemonics (those little horizontal lines that appear under letters when you hold down the alt key) now work for Plasma buttons and tabs (Frameworks 5.78).
- Okular’s configuration window has been modernized to use the common FormLayout style (Okular 21.04).
- Dolphin now makes it a bit more obvious how you connect to a remote server whose URL you know when you click the Network item in the Places panel (Dolphin 21.04).
- The entire selection area of the systray icons can now be center-clicked or scrolled, rather than just the small icon itself (Plasma 5.21).
- When searching for power-related actions in KRunner (eg “Shutdown”, “reboot”, etc.), KRunner now searches partial strings and finds the actions by their English words, even when your system language is set to other (Plasma 5.21).
- Kate and other KTextEditor-based applications now display dragged text while dragging (Frameworks 5.78).
KDE will improve Wayland in 2021
On the other hand, Graham also published the 2021 roadmap, and in it he mentioned 4 interesting points:
- Plasma Wayland sessions will work better in 2021 and he hopes it will be used on more teams.
- Fingerprint support.
- Improvements in the Breeze theme.
- Kickoff will be replaced, or more specifically modified. More information and icons will be displayed on the new one, which will improve productivity.
When will all this come
Plasma 5.21 will arrive on February 9 and Plasma 5.20.5 will do it next Tuesday, January 5. KDE Applications 20.12.1 will arrive on January 7, and 21.04 will arrive sometime in April 2021. KDE Frameworks 5.78 will land on January 9.
To enjoy all this as soon as possible we have to add the KDE Backports repository or use an operating system with special repositories like KDE neon or any distribution whose development model is Rolling Release.
Yes, the above will not be met with Plasma 5.20 or 5.21, or not for Kubuntu until the release of Hirsute Hippo, as we already discussed in this article.