The good news for users of GNOME is that their software is improving a lot in recent weeks. The bad news is that many of these improvements are that they have gone to use GTK4 and / or libadwaita, which is not bad, but it does not go through much of simple aesthetic tweaks. But they’re also making steps forward in terms of features, and the best example is the screenshot app that’s coming with GNOME 42, though we didn’t read about it seven days ago.
The screenshot tool it is now complete and has reached GNOME 42 which is currently under development. Among the last thing they have added we find an indicator that will let us know that it is recording. And no, it is not a little orange dot on the top bar like the current one; it’s also not the fat red dot we see when using SimpleScreenRecorder; is something more minimalist and useful, and you can see how it is in the video that they have published in the this week’s article.
This week in GNOME
- Weather and font applications have switched to using GTK4 and libadwaita (header capture).
- In GNOME 42, apps like clock, maps, calendar, and weather will use the location portal when they are sandbox apps.
- Added a light to dark theme step transition, which can be seen in the original article (link above).
- The screenshot tool shows an indicator when it is recording. In it we can also see how long we have been recording and there is a button with which we can stop the recording. Its UI has also been tweaked a bit more.
- Webfont Kit Generator now includes a tool that allows you to download and import fonts from Google Fonts using a CSS API url, which is very useful for self-hosting fonts.
- Random 1.2 has been released, with a completely revamped interface. Already on flat hub.
- Flatpak-vscode 0.0.17 now available:
- New output terminal for lower output delay and work terminal colors.
- New status bar item for current build and run status.
- New rust-analyzer integration to run runnables inside the sandbox.
- Improved integration of the build and run terminal.
- Support for activating the document portal on activation (can be problematic when other extensions, like rust-analyzer, start before).
- It shows the “Flatpak manifest detected” dialog only once.
- Telegrand now includes search for chats and contacts, displays more chat list information such as mentions and drafts balloons, now supports picture messages, has added support for multiple accounts, and has made general improvements to its interface.
- gtk-rs improvements:
- The signals chapter includes the new glib::closure_local! macro.
- The Composite Templates chapter has removed the aboutgtk::Builder section in favor of the degio::Resource introduction.
- The Composite Templates chapter app uses the newly introduced support for template callbacks.
- The chapter on the interface constructor has been renamed to composite templates.
- The second chapter of the task application now uses automatic resources to add the shortcut window.
- The second chapter of the task application uses gio::Settings instead of serde_json to save its state.
And that has been all this week in GNOME.