In the next article we are going to take a look at the latest released version of the Geary email client. East has been updated to version 40.0, which includes a visual update, a responsive user interface, and a few other new features.
This email client for the GNOME 3 desktop is written in Vala and based on WebKitGTK. Like the main Gnome apps, Geary has a similar version system. After v3.38, Geary 40 was recently released, offering a responsive user interface that supports half screen, portrait, and small screens.
This version also includes improved performance when displaying large conversations and an updated full-text search engine. Other major changes include improvements to server compatibility, translation updates, improved keyboard shortcuts, as well as various user interface improvements and bug fixes.
General features of Geary 40
- Geary has a clean, fast and modern interface that works as the user wants and expects.
- Offers a quick email account setup.
- Includes the possibility to organize mail by conversations. Geary collects related messages in conversations, making it easy to find and track your discussions.
- It also has support to send as another identity.
- Full-text and keyword search. The fast, full-text, and keyword search that Geary uses makes it easy to find the email you’re looking for. The full-text search engine was updated from previous versions.
- Includes a copywriter Full-featured HTML and plain text messages. Geary’s full-featured composer lets you send rich, stylized text with images, links, and lists, but also send light, easy-to-read text messages.
- It also has support for reading attachments TNEF.
- You will notify us by desktop notifications of new emails.
- Dispose of accessories that allow you to play a sound when an email is sent, create templates, or complete and send email templates using a spreadsheet.
- We can work with this program using keyboard shortcuts.
- Geary automatically picks up our existing GNOME online accounts, and adding more is easy. It is compatible with Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Outlook.com, and other IMAP servers.
- Improved server compatibility.
- It also includes numerous UI translation updates, bug fixes, and UI enhancements.
Install Geary 40 on Ubuntu:
Geary is available in the official repositories of many Gnu / Linux distributions, but it has not yet been updated to the latest version 40.0. The new package of this release can be found available to install through the flatpak pack.
To install, we will have to have Flatpak technology enabled in our system. We can achieve this by opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and executing the following command to install flatpak daemon, if you don’t have it installed yet:
sudo apt install flatpak
Then we will add the flathub repository, which hosts the flatpak package that we want to install:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
For everything to go well, now we should restart session. At this point we can execute this other command in the same terminal to install Geary’s flatpak package:
flatpak install flathub org.gnome.Geary
Once the installation is finished, we only have find the program launcher in our team to start it.
If you already have a previous version installed, you can update the program using command:
flatpak update org.gnome.Geary
In order to remove this program from our team, in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) we will only have to execute the following command:
flatpak uninstall --delete-data org.gnome.Geary
The user who wants to know more about this project can consult your page in Gitlab, where you can view source code, issue tracking, and release planning. You can also find more information about this program at its Web page.